Kodi for Android is a multimedia center that has become very popular in recent years. We tell you everything you need to know about this application to use it on Android in a simple way.
Table of Contents
- 1 Kodi for Android: what is it?
- 2 Is it legal to use Kodi for Android?
- 3 How do I install Kodi for Android?
- 4 Understanding Kodi menus for Android
- 5 How do I set up Kodi for Android?
- 6 Add-ons for Kodi: what they are and how they work
- 7 Repositories: how to find even more add-ons
- 8 How to find the best Kodi add-ons for Android
- 9 How to use Kodi with Chromecast
- 10 Other details of Kodi for Android
Kodi for Android: what is it?
Kodi for Androidis a multimedia center, an application to use ashubto access your videos, your music, your images ... It is a free, open source project, available on a large number of platforms. On Your Websiteyou can find the different versions. Its presence on all devices is one of the keys that have allowed it to become so popular.
Kodi also supports many audio, image, and video formats. Well configured, you can access content found on your PC from your mobile. Together with a great metadata management (titles, covers, artists, groups ...), withKodiyou can have a complete library with a great visual aspect that you can access from any screen.
Is it legal to use Kodi for Android?
Kodiit is legal. It is just one more tool, but it is not a hub for hacking content. The illegal thing, as always, is to reproduce pirated and downloaded content that you do not own. However, doing that depends on each person and from Kodi they do not encourage the consumption of pirated movies or music. Therefore, do not worry about installing and using Kodi, since there will be no problem. If you play pirated content, it will be up to your internet provider to decide whether or not to cut the connection, so the risks are the same as always. Still, calm down. There are many legal services for, for example, watching free classic movies on Kodi.
How do I install Kodi for Android?
Here at the Play Storeyou have the plug of theXBMC Foundation, the development team of Kodi for Android. From the Google application store you can get Kodi and with Korean, a remote control for Kodi integrated into your mobile. The Kodi app weighs more than 80 MB, so make sure you have space on your mobile. You can download the two applications from the following links:
Understanding Kodi menus for Android
Installation is the easiest thing to do, but setup will require a few extra steps on your part. It is not too complicated, but it is good to understand each menu. In addition, you will notice that the application shows its interface in vertical format, since it is the most suitable way to consume content.
To access the configuration menus, you must click on the gear at the top left. It will take you to a new screen where you will see all the categories at a glance. We recommend that you first go tointerface settingsand inRegionalchange the language toSpanish. It will quickly install the corresponding add-on (we'll talk about this later) and youKodiIt will already be in Spanish.
One last thing before going to each menu is to take into account the gear that appears at the bottom left in each of them. As you press it, you will go fromStandardaAdvancedandExpert. Each level increases the possible Settings, but in Standard it will be enough for you.
- Player settings: Here you will customize how content playback works. Do you want one video to automatically play after another? Do you want a song to be queued when selected? Do DVDs play automatically? How long is each image displayed? All that, here.
- Content settings:This is the site to see how your local content is displayed. What happens when I press a video? Is the song metadata displayed? And the cover?
- PVR and Live TV settings: These settings are not relevant on Kodi for Android. On other platforms you can record live TV using Kodi.
- Service settings: The place to configure a little more complicated aspects. From the name of the device to the UPnP / DLNA configuration, as well as the operation of the servers you create. You shouldn't mess around here a lot.
- Interface settings:From changing the language to changing the Skin, to deciding whether to use a screensaver or what is the home screen.
- Skin settings:Skins are different themes that you can download and use to change the look of Kodi. Here you can install new skins and determine their behavior (animations, graphics, etc.).
- Profile settings:Your settings as a user. You can add as many profiles as you want if you share the device.
- System settings: How many sound channels do you want? Do you want to use a mouse and keyboard? Configure add-ons? All here.
- Event log: Un changelog of everything you are doing.
- File Browser: A traditional file explorer to move and modify what you need. Its main utility lies in not needing to leave the app to access your local content and, for example, move it from one folder to another.
How do I set up Kodi for Android?
When opening the app, you most likely saw the "Your collection is empty" notice. It's time to let Kodi for Android access your files for later playback. Position yourself by sliding on the category on the left that you prefer (Movies, Series, Music ...) and press the buttonEnter the Files section.
You will now be in File Explorer. The idea is, then, that you look for the folder that contains, for example, your Music. Tap onAdd music ...and in the new menu click onSearch. You will have to access to the path where your music is and click onAcceptonce inside. Once done, you can edit the name that that content source will have and then pressOkin the lower area to add it. You will get a notice asking you to confirm the process. Click Yes. The process will be displayed at the top right and, once completed, you will have added the font.
Click on the folder you have added and choose any song. If it plays, congratulations, you've added everything without a hitch. You can continue browsing Kodi for Android while the music is playing. From now on, when you access the main menu, the music category will show the artists, albums, categories ... Everything will be more within reach.
From here, it is to repeat this process in each category of Kodi, indicating where the content to be played is. If some category does not interest you (for example, Video clips), hover over it and use the buttonRemove this item from the main menu. It will disappear and no longer bother you, allowing you to gain space in the interface. From the Settings you can retrieve the categories if you wish.
Add-ons for Kodi: what they are and how they work
Once all of this is done, you are more or less ready for local video playback without any hassle. Then comes the turn of streaming playback, and this is where add-ons come into play, whose name already gives us a clue of what they are. They are added, pieces that are attached to Kodi for Android to increase its functions. In its most basic format we have the language add-ons, such as the one that is downloaded to use Kodi in Spanish. But they are more than that.
On the main Kodi screen, one of the categories on the left isAdd-ons. Get on top of it. You will see several categories and even some applications that you have installed on your mobile. If you click on an application, it will open. What interests us is to click onAdd-onsin the menu on the left to start configuring everything.
Place yourself on the new screen on the category you want. In this tutorial we will use the categoryVideo add-ons. Click onEnter the add-on browser. A long list of folders will appear before you, so it is best to be clear about what you are going to look for before arriving here. Keep in mind that some will also have regional blocking, mainly those of television channels.
Look for, for example, the add-on ofYouTube. Press it in the list and, in the new screen, press the button Install bottom right. It will return you to the previous list and it will begin to install. You will see the process through notifications at the top right and, once installed, you will see a new tick next to the YouTube name.
Now go back to the main add-ons screen and you will see that the one of YouTube that you just installed. Press it and complete language setup. On the new screen you will see folders that correspond to YouTube categories, one for Login inclusive. If we go to trends, we can press a video to play instantly. Wait a few seconds and you will see how it plays inside Kodi. In the folderConfigurationyou can choose more options, such as playback quality, play only audio, subtitle settings, auto remove from See Later ...
Seen one, seen all. All add-ons are installed following this method and more or less all will adopt a similar interface. Ideally, you should look for the main streaming services, so that you can play them without problems within Kodi.
Repositories: how to find even more add-ons
By following the steps in the previous category, you've undoubtedly seen that there are a ton of add-ons to choose from, enough to get you lost. But what if you want more? The answer is the repositories. They are collections of add-ons selected by third parties and that do not depend on Kodi. One of the most popular is SuperRepo, and maybe it is the only one you need to install if you want an extra. You can install others, yes, but avoid these Kodi repositories for safety.
Go to theKodi Settingsand entersFile Browser. ChooseAdd fontin your internal memory or SD memory and click onon the new screen. Type http://srp.nu and hit Ok. Give it a nameSuperRepoon the next screen and press Ok. Go back to the category ofAdd-onsand click on the icon at the top left, the first one, the one in the shape of an open box. It is the menu of Add-on Explorer.
In the new menu, click onInstall from a .zip fileand, in the notice, click onSettings. Activate theUnknown originsto enable the installation of third-party add-ons. Press back and press againInstall from a .zip file. You will now see a list, including the SuperRepo file. It will appear under the name you give it when you download it from the Explorer. Press it and select the folder for your version of Kodi. When installing the latest version, at the moment it is the folderkrypton. Enter and click onrepositoriesand then in superrepo. There is the zip file to install. Select it and press Ok.
When the process is complete, you will get a notice at the top right. Now select in the Add-ons Explorer the option toInstall from repository. ChooseSuperRepo Repositoriesand then enterAdd-on repository. ChooseSuper Repo Alland install it. Go back to the menuInstall from repositoryand you will see a new folder calledSuper Repo Allwhere all the add-ons of this repository will be, ready for you to install and use.
How to find the best Kodi add-ons for Android
If on the main screen you go to the category ofAdd-onsYou will see that this menu has its own categories in the upper area. The last option is toSearch, and it is the one that will allow you to easily and directly find the add-ons you are looking for. It is the simplest method if you know what you are looking for. In addition, on its website,Kodiprovides selection of legal add-ons sorted by categories and that is much easier to use. You can also explore the Kodi Wiki by categories.
How to use Kodi with Chromecast
Kodi for Androidit falters on one thing: no Chromecast integration. It is the only thing that is missing for streaming our content to be sewing and singing. Still, there are ways to cast content to Chromecast with Kodi:
- Use Google Home:Using the built-in Cast screen and audio to Chromecast option from the Google Home app, you can seamlessly cast content from Kodi. It is not an optimal option, since it depends on the power of your device and will force you to have the screen turned on. However, if you have an old mobile to dedicate only to using Kodi for Android, it is an option to consider.
- Use LocalCast for Chromectas:With this free app from the Play Store you can use a couple of shortcuts to use Kodi with Chromecast. The idea is to download an xml file to paste in the Kodi folder for Android and cause this app to launch at the same time as Kodi, thus integrating it with Chromecast. The best thing is to do it from a computer and connect the mobile by USB. These are the steps:
- DownloadLocalCastfrom the Play Storeon your mobile.
- Download the fileplayercorefactory.xmlfrom this link.
- Copy the xml file in the path Android> Data> org.xbmc.kodi> files> .kodi> userdata of your mobile phone.
- Make sure to open the LocalCast app once and test that it works fine.
- The next time you open Kodi and play a file, it should skip LocalCast at the same time. Select your Chromecast and it will start playing on your TV.
Other details of Kodi for Android
- In the home, if you click on the four button on the top left that appears while playing content, the screen will change to a full screen player. If you press once, the screen will go black, something that will allow you to save battery in OLED screens.
- To access the playlist, enter the corresponding category and click on the button.Optionsbottom left. You will see the optionGo to playlist.
- When in doubt, there are many online communities dedicated to add-ons, which are considered the lifeblood of Kodi. For example, this is the reddit community.
- You can add add-ons and content to favorites. So you will have them at your fingertips in the home favorites menu.
- The Kore application comes in handy to use as a Kodi remote control installed on other devices, such as your Android TV.
- PureVPN offers a VPN dedicated to Kodi. It is one of the most popular options on the market.
- We are talking about a product with many options. If you ever "break" something, don't worry, it's easy to restore Kodi to its initial state.
- Although we have not mentioned them much, there are functions for watching TV. For example, you can watch DTT channels with Kodi.
The content of the article adheres to our principles of editorial ethics. To report an error click here!.
Now the first thing that you want to do whenever you launch Kodi is just to have some patience.How does Kodi work on Android box? ›
Open the Google Play Store on your Android TV and sign in if prompted. Download the Kodi app on your Android TV using Google Play. Configure the Kodi app to see the content you have stored on the network. If the installation is successful, you are ready to use Kodi on your Chromecast.How do I activate Kodi on Android? ›
To install Kodi onto your Android TV box through the Google Play Store, just follow these steps: Using the Google Play Store on your Android TV Box, search for the Kodi app. When the information screen for the app appears, select “Install.” Once installation is complete, Kodi is ready to use.Is Kodi good for Android? ›
Kodi is the best app to use as a multimedia center on absolutely any device you use. PC, phone, tablet, all of them have a version for this great app to watch movies and TV shows. Learning how to use Kodi on Android means you'll be able to use any other of its versions, including Kodi for PC.Is it safe to use Kodi on Android phone? ›
Yes. If you download and use Kodi as intended to manage and play media files you own, it is completely legal. The software is free, open-source, and as safe as any other trusted program installed on your device.How do I add channels to my android box? ›
- On your Android TV, go to the Home screen.
- Scroll down to the "Apps" row.
- Select the Live Channels app.
- Press the Select button.
- Under "TV Options," select Channel setup. ...
- Choose which channels you want to show up in your program guide.
- To return to your Live Channels stream, press the Back button.
On Windows, macOS, Android, and LibreElec, these game emulator add-ons are already available in the official Kodi repository. Go to Add-Ons > Install from Repository > Kodi Add-on Repository > Game Add-Ons > Emulators to see all the available emulator add-ons.How do I add files to Kodi? ›
- Step 1: Select VIDEOS in the home screen menu. (Or select Enter files section if that button is visible)
- Step 2: Select FILES.
- Step 3: Select ADD VIDEOS....
- Step 4: Select the BROWSE.
- Step 5: Browse to locate your Source folder. ...
- Step 6: Either use the default name or rename the Source.
- Decide what type of content you want to watch (such as movie, TV show, live TV)
- Pick the addon that provides the content.
- Find the source to install the chosen addon from.
- Add the desired source to Kodi.
- Install the repository from the source.
Installing Kodi on Android devices is much easier than installing the media server on other streaming devices. You can either install Kodi from the Google Play Store or download its APK file and install it manually. Kodi for Android is also available on other non-Google app stores.
- Download the Google Home app from the Play Store and launch it once installed.
- Find your Chromecast under the device list. ...
- Select the Cast my screen option.
- Confirm by tapping Cast screen.
- Tap on Start now.
- Your device screen and audio should be streaming to Chromecast.
The Nvidia Shield TV Pro is the best Android TV streaming box for Kodi, and arguably the top streaming media player on the planet. With a true version of Android TV, it's a premium device.Is Kodi worth buying? ›
Kodi not only plays media from the local storage, but its real power lies in facilitating online streaming through various addons. Kodi gives you access to the bottomless pool of content on the web. And, there are hundreds of free addons that let you take a dive in that pool. That's outstanding!What devices work with Kodi? ›
Kodi is compatible with multiple home devices, including your smartphone, smart TV, Android TV, Firestick, PC, and more. Subsequently, you can install Kodi on various platforms, like Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, tvOS, Raspberry Pi, and Linux.Why is Kodi so popular? ›
Kodi isn't just another media player, its versatility and open nature have made it a hugely popular platform. The platform supports virtually all audio and video file formats, ensuring that all of your content, no matter how old or obscure, is accessible in a single location.How do I put free movies on Kodi? ›
- Install the latest Kodi app from the Kodi.tv website.
- Open up Kodi and go to Add-ons.
- Click on the package symbol on the top left and then click on Install from repository.
- Locate the Kodi Add-on Repository and click on it.
- Find and install the addons you want.
- Scroll down the menu to “Videos.”
- Select “Files.”
- Click “Add videos…”
- Click “Browse.” Find the video file you want to play and tap “Ok.”
- Click “Ok” again to finish.
- Get a Kodi VPN. ...
- Enter Kodi. ...
- Find the package icon. ...
- Click into it. ...
- Select “Kodi Addon Repository”. ...
- Choose from the list of addons. ...
- Click the “Install” icon at the bottom of the screen. ...
- When the addon is installed, go to the Addons screen.
On Windows, macOS, Android, and LibreElec, these game emulator add-ons are already available in the official Kodi repository. Go to Add-Ons > Install from Repository > Kodi Add-on Repository > Game Add-Ons > Emulators to see all the available emulator add-ons.How do I install live TV on Kodi? ›
Within Kodi go to Add-ons > Download > Video Add-ons, select your desired add-on, and click Install. You can use the many add-ons for Kodi to watch live TV, and though some are free, some do require subscriptions.
- Open downloaded movies that are stored on your device.
- Use add-ons from the repository for viewing TV channels.
- Install third-party add-ons to watch movies online.
- The Roku Channel. Roku offers a mix of contemporary and classic films for free. ...
- YouTube. You might be surprised to learn that YouTube has a sizable collection of free films. ...
- Vudu. ...
- Crackle. ...
Real Debrid is a subscription service that provides its users access to additional file hosters. Subscriptions start at €3 ($3.17 USD) but can go as high as €16 ($16.88) for a six-month plan. When a Kodi user selects something to watch, Real Debrid provides additional links from its 49 supported hosts.How do I install free VPN on Kodi Android box? ›
- On either your OpenELEC Krypton or your Isengard, open Kodi's Settings.
- Click File Manager.
- Click Add Source.
- Select None.
- Enter the URL of the Kodi VPN add-on.
- Click Done.
- Click Name Add-On.
- Click Done.
- Start on your Kodi home screen.
- Go to Add-ons.
- Go to Program add-ons.
- Click on Steam.
- This will launch Steam in big picture mode.
- Now go to Library in Steam to see all of your games.
- Select which game you want to play and click on it to launch the game.
To download this Add-On, we highly recommend you do it via the user interface in Kodi. Simply look for the "Get More" button in the Add-Ons menu. If you want to install it manually, you can direct download from the platforms link that matches your platform then in Kodi look for the "Install via Zip" option.How do you get Kodi on PS4? ›
You need to get a third-party app (Plex) to install Kodi on PS4. Plex has similar functions with Kodi. It can organize your media collections from videos to music and photos. If offers live TV and records them for binge-watch.